With the festive season in full swing now there can be food stuffs available at parties, home and work that can be quite decadent. As a result, if you’re like me, I crave the more savoury meal to balance out the sweet. And there’s nothing like preparing a delicious home-cooked meal in minutes using up what is already in the fridge or freezer. Nutritious. Easy. Affordable. Tasty. NEAT… and fast!
For the meal pictured here, I used my favourite local salmon “bacon” as well as cauliflower, pieces of Swiss chard (or any greens), red onion and garlic. Brilliant! I chopped up everything and cooked them together with a high quality extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), Quebec pure maple syrup and Thai ginger sea salt (or any sea salt). Then added the chopped up salmon. If you don’t have salmon “bacon” then consider using salmon itself.
Now, here are some items I try to keep on hand so I can whip up a meal, using up first what is the oldest to avoid food waste:
- Boiled eggs (use within a week)
- Salmon (freezer, very quick to thaw)
- Roasted chicken breast (use within 3 days)
- Red onion, garlic
- Cauliflower and/or broccoli
- EVOO, dark sesame seed oil, balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup
- Lemons, limes
- Rice noodles, (gluten-free) pasta
- Edamame beans (freezer, quick to thaw)
- Corn (freezer, quick to thaw)
- Potatoes (I have to limit due to inflammation but I still have on hand)
- Tomatoes (I have to limit due to inflammation but I still have on hand)
- Sea salt, ground black pepper
What I can make with the above:
Power bowl 1: salmon, onion, riced cauliflower, carrot slices, edamame, dark sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce
Power bowl 2: egg, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, corn, greens, lime, EVOO, salt, black pepper
Stir fry: carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, onion, chicken, rice noodles, EVOO, sea salt, black pepper, (optional) — maple syrup, lemon
Salmon meal: maple salmon, roasted potatoes (EVOO, sea salt, black pepper), carrots
Chicken meal: Pasta, (cooked or raw) broccoli, chicken, mashed avocado with lemon, salt, pepper — all mixed together
Chicken meal 2: Mashed potatoes and EVOO, sea salt, pepper, and salad made up of chopped cabbage, chicken, dark sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce.
Chicken meal 3: Greens, chicken, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, EVOO, sea salt, pepper.
What have you whipped up using food on hand? Anything surprisingly unique? What do you keep available so you can quickly make a meal? I’d love to hear from you.
Happy fridge clean up!